Many people do not realize until it is too late that staying healthy can be life-saving. But it is never too late to start a healthy approach to life. We live in a fast-paced world where everyone is very busy and there is little time devoted to the body. Plus with all the distractions it is not easy to make healthy choices. However, rest assured, the benefits of a healthy lifestyle are not only immediate but will echo for many decades with a sound mind and body. So if you want to remain healthy, here are a few tips:
- Become physically active: one of the best ways to remain healthy is to remain physically active. Do some type of exercise regularly. Even walking for 45-60 minutes every day is a great exercise. Other exercises that you can do include swimming, cycling, jogging, or aerobics- the key is to be regular. Finally, select an exercise you like so that you will continue doing it.
- Eat a healthy diet: Today it is recommended that one adopt a diet that is more plant-based rather than meat. The key is to eat everything in moderation. Fruits, vegetables, whole wheat, nuts, fish, and low-fat dairy are recommended. At the same time minimize the use of saturated oil, sugar, and salt in the diet.
- Avoid injury When playing sports, wear the appropriate safety gear. Use the seat belt every time you are in a motor vehicle. Ensure that the home has carbon monoxide and smoke detectors. We live in a world where random crime is common so always be on your guard when outside the home.
- Discontinue smoking: If you are a smoker, you should quit today. Nicotine has no health benefits and is a costly social habit. By quitting smoking, you will reduce your risk of developing cancer, premature heart disease, and stroke. Even though there are many aids to help people quit smoking, none of them works reliably; cold turkey is still the best approach.
- Limit the intake of alcohol. Even though there is a lot written about the benefits of drinking wine, these health benefits are minor. Instead of drinking wine, you can walk for 30 minutes. If you are adamant about drinking alcohol, adult males should drink no more than 2 glasses of wine per day and adult females should limit themselves to just one glass of wine per day.
- Addiction: Drug and alcohol addiction affects millions of people eventually leading to social, economic, and legal issues. If you want to enhance the quality of your life, seek help for the addiction. Today there are effective treatments for addiction that can help you toward the goal of a healthy lifestyle.
- Practice safe sex: To help prevent sexually transmitted infections including HIV, use a condom regularly when you have a sexual encounter. While condoms are not 100% foolproof, they do lower the risk of acquiring an STD.
- Limit exposure to the sun: Even though it is nice to have a nice looking bronze tan, it is important to understand that the rates of skin cancers have steadily been increasing. Today the number one risk factor for skin cancer is prolonged exposure to the sun. Hence avoid sun exposure between 10 am to 3 pm when it is the most intense, and always apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen whenever you go outdoors. Wear sunglasses that can block most of the sun’s rays.
- Depressed: If you feel sad, anxious, or depressed on more than one occasion for no apparent reason, seek help. Today mental health disease affects more than 1% of the population and it can have a significant negative impact on the quality of life. People with mental health issues need to seek help because there are effective treatments that can significantly improve their quality of life. If you feel suicidal call the hotline 1800 273 8255; there are staff 24/7 to help you with your immediate crisis.
- Keep in touch; One of the ways to ensure that you are safe is to always keep in touch with your family and friends.
- Become involved in the community and volunteer at the local food bank or hospital- it will greatly enhance your self-esteem and confidence.
- Stress: Learn to recognize stress and manage it. Unmanaged chronic stress can have a negative impact on life. To reduce stress, practice yoga and/or tai chi, meditate, start deep breathing exercises, read, listen to music and get adequate sleep.
- Finally, regularly see a healthcare provider; if something happens to your health, the healthcare provider is in the best position to know how to help.